Dance4 Research Artist - Sara Giddens

Thursday 19 May 2011

Blog 1 - November 2010

I begin through trying to find stillness in order to find focus; this is clearly a possible mantra for life as well as the beginning of a PHD. Everywhere I turn there is change and the current political climate affords little stasis. Focussing upon stillness provides a metaphorical, methodological, aesthetic and artistic frame from which to begin.

It is not surprising that I have felt unease as a choreographer to be drawn to focusing on stillness. To what can appear to be, at least on the surface, as the complete antithesis of the role, if it is seen as a putting together of movement and creating dances. Even more illuminating is the realisation that I am re-seeing dance as a way of moving from one moment, of stillness, to another.

I am finding writing much harder than I remember and I turn to stillness through intrigue and through uncertainty. I find myself drawn to moments of uncertainty, to the sure and certain knowledge of uncertainty. To not showing, not revealing and not turning out.

However, for me, there seems to be no hiding behind stillness, no possibility of being carried away in or distracted or disorientated by movement. This is not a casual and fleeting affaire. Still in-flow and in-between. From this microscopic place, located firmly within my own presently highly reflexive practice I lift my head and know anew. If only to re-see choreography in relation to composition, an arrangement in space-time, a placement, a framing and I look outwards. I leaf through all sorts of possibilities from library shelves and on-line catalogues and finally find places to begin, to begin to move alongside.

No comments:

Post a Comment